Friday, May 15, 2009

The Olden Days


The other day I broke out a plastic horseshoes game I purchased several years ago from the Target $1 bin and set it up for Sport and Spice. They had a great time trying to get a ringer. After a couple of tries Sport ran over and said, "Mom this game's a lot of fun! It reminds me of something people would play in that Homer Price book you gave me. Cause you know that was from a long time ago, like, 1986 I think."
For those of you who aren't literary geniuses like my dear son, Homer Price is the title character in a classic children's chapter book written by Robert McCloskey in 1943. So Sport was off by about 40 years. What's a few decades to an 8-year-old?

A day or two later we were listening to the radio and for some reason Sport didn't think the sound quality on a certain song was quite up to modern standards so he remarked, "It sounds like something from a long time ago. You know like in the 80s when all they had were those black and white TVs."

No comments: