Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cleaning Up After Sick Kids



It's been a rough couple of weeks here in the GroovieMom household. A stomach virus has taken its toll on each of us one by one. I'll spare you all the gory details and get right to the topic at hand. Here are my top tips for saving your sanity with sick kids in the house:

Keep everything covered! This is especially important if you have little ones in the house. Spice for one has not mastered the art of aiming. I kept her bed lined with lap pads like these that I have held on to just for this purpose. This way if she throws up during the middle of the night, all I have to do is change out the padding, rather than completely strip all sheets off the bed and start over. I also keep the couch covered with several layers of beach towels for the same reason.
If you have older kids like Sport, who may have mastered the art of aiming, but still don't have the timing down, keep a small wastebasket nearby at all times. I line a trash can with several plastic shopping bags so if the urge strikes all I have to do is remove the offending bag along with the one beneath it for extra protection (I learned the hard way a lot of those shopping bags leak), dispose of it and reline the can. Makes for a much more easier and less nauseating clean-up. Just close your eyes, hold your breath and pack it away. I keep a trash can by Sport's bed when he's sick along with a couple of towels underneath it for extra protection.

These tips work for me when things in our home are at a low point I hope they can help you too. Visit We Are That Family for more WFMW tips.

No comments: