Friday, July 24, 2009

Bargain Hunting

Last week I loaded up the kids and did something I haven't done in a long time...went garage saling. We actually hit a couple of Thursday sales which was new to me, but after reading Thrifty Decor Chick's post about Thursday sales, I figured they were worth a try. At least there's not a lot of competition first thing Thursday morning.
We hit paydirt at our very first sale. If you are a homeschooler, garage sales are an excellent source for materials. I picked up 2 small dry erase boards, lined on one side for handwriting practice and blank on the other side, a set of shape magnets for Spice, an unopened pack of Handwriting Without Tears writing paper, a set of number magnets along with a write on/wipe off book for math practice, and the game Smath, which I've read about on virtually every homeschooler's blog for a whopping $2.50!!!


It was obviously the week for retired teacher yard sales because I also managed to pick up a boatload of learning games in all subjects as well as reams of paper, 2 potholder knitting looms with the loops - which will come in handy for our upcoming study of colonial America - and quite a few other school related materials that I never took pictures of, for under $5.

It wasn't all about school bargains though. Spice zeroed right in on this Parisian Kids zebra print fleece vest for a dollar...



and Sport was in Heaven after spying a Lego Bionicle at the very first sale for only $1.50 (a savings of over 6 bucks). When we left the house that morning he announced, "I'm going to leave my wallet here because I want to save my money for more Bionicles." Guess who need a loan right off the bat?

No comments: